08/21/26 09:50:00
Printable Page
08/21 21:48 CDT Dodgers president shuts down sale rumors after Mark Walter's
$12.5B Lakers deal
Dodgers president shuts down sale rumors after Mark Walter's $12.5B Lakers deal
By BETH HARRIS
AP Sports Writer
LOS ANGELES (AP) --- Los Angeles Dodgers president Stan Kasten attempted to
calm online speculation about the future of the franchise under billionaire
owner Mark Walter on Friday.
"The Dodgers are not being sold. They're not for sale. There's no process that
has been started to sell it, period," he told reporters on the field before the
team's game against Pittsburgh. "We are planning only to win."
The conjecture began earlier this month with Walter agreeing to a stunning sale
of the Los Angeles Lakers to businessmen Josh Kushner and Bob Iger for a
record-breaking price of $12.5 billion, according to a person familiar with the
terms who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Walter
bought a controlling stake in the franchise from the Buss family last year.
"I can't tell you how important the Dodgers are to Mark," Kasten said. "The
Lakers thing? The Lakers were important to him too, but it's kind of an
extraordinary opportunity, which he took."
Multiple media outlets last month reported that Walter's business empire is
under scrutiny from both federal prosecutors and the Securities and Exchange
Commission in tax fraud investigations. Walter is cooperating with the
investigation.
"I know nothing involving the Dodgers is part of the investigation," Kasten
said, declining to go into specifics.
The 66-year-old Walter is based in Chicago, where he is CEO of Guggenheim
Partners. He has overseen a run of success for the Dodgers that includes three
World Series championships in six seasons and a penchant for lavishing
big-money contracts on players like four-time MVP Shohei Ohtani.
"I think Mark has done an extraordinary job as an owner," Kasten said, "and all
he's ever cared about is providing the best experience in order to make us more
money, to make this project successful. I think so far it has been, I expect
that to continue far into the future."
Kasten also said Walter is not exploring any sales of his other sports
properties, which include the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks, the Professional
Women's Hockey League and TWG Motorsports.
Walter typically shuns the spotlight, preferring to stay behind the scenes and
have Kasten or other team executives make public statements.
___
See AP's full MLB coverage here
|